This Southwest Tofu Veggie Skillet is one way I get a variety of wholesome foods and nutrients in just one meal. Packed with vibrant flavors and colors this plant-based meal is super filling and can be eaten any part of the day. If you love Mexican-Style food you’ll love this Tex-Mex dish!
- If you don’t have a large enough skillet you may have to cook your southwest tofu veggie skillet in half-sized portions.
- Cut sweet potatoes small enough to cook evenly on a skillet. If the pieces are too thick they’ll be harder to cook thoroughly.
- This tofu veggie skillet is even more mouthwatering with salsa on top.
- Add a little avocado for some healthy fats.
Southwest Tofu Veggie Skillet
View recipe video here!
Prep time: 15-20 minutes | Cook Time: 20-25 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes
- (100g) 1/2 c chopped onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- (2) 14 oz Nasoya Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 tbsp Central Market Organics Green Ancho Chili Seasoning
- Sea salt to taste *optional*
- 2 tbsp San-J Tamari Lite Soy Sauce
- 300g uncooked chopped sweet potatoes
- 1 can of low sodium black beans
- 1 can of no salt/no sugar added corn
- 1 medium chopped red bell pepper
- 42g Field Roast Mexican Style Blend Chao plant-based shredded cheese
- 150g fresh spinach
Note: I receive a small commission if you decide to purchase any of the items directly through my affiliate links.
- Chop up your onion, sweet potatoes and red bell peppers and then set aside.
- In an extra large skillet, over medium heat, coat or spray with light oil. I used avocado oil spray.
- Add chopped onions and minced garlic to the skillet and sauté for about 1- 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add avocado oil and let it heat up.
- Pour chopped sweet potatoes in the skillet.
- Using a spatula coat the sweet potatoes in oil so that they cook evenly on both sides.
- Let the sweet potatoes cook on one side for about 1- 2 minutes and then flip them using a small heat resistant silicone spatula.
- Allow the sweet potatoes to cook on the opposite side for about 1- 2 minutes and flip them again. Repeat until sweet potatoes are browned and able to poke a fork through them. They should feel mildly soft, but not too soft.
- Using your hands, crumble the tofu blocks over the skillet or crumble them up in a bowl and add them to the skillet.
- Sprinkle in Green Ancho Chili and mix it in.
- Then add black beans, corn, and chopped bell peppers to the skillet.
- Sprinkle in sea salt and Tamari Lite Soy Sauce.
- Mix ingredients together using a spatula then pause and let the food cook for about 30 seconds before mixing again.
- Lower heat to a lower heat and mix in vegan cheese.
- Then gradually add in spinach as it cooks down.
- After adding in the spinach turn heat down to the lowest setting (or turn the stove off)
- Place top on skillet for about 2- 3 minutes to let flavors settle.
- Sometimes I like to enjoy my southwest tofu veggie skillet with a bit of salsa on top, but it’s just as tasty as is.
- Enjoy! 🙂
Servings: 3 | Calories: 625 kcal
Protein: 39g | Carbs: 63g | Fat: 18g