Getting in my protein as a vegan who weight trains is a must. These tofu meat crumbles are not only a great source of plant-based protein, but are a complete protein; meaning they contain all 9 essential amino acids used to build and repair muscle. Tofu (soy in general) is a staple in my diet that can be consumed in multiple ways. There’s a lot of misleading information centered around soy, however, certain types of soy are indeed nutritious and very healthy to eat; tofu is one of them.
These savory tofu meat crumbles are a flavorful plant-based meat substitute that can be used in various dishes like tacos, salads, pasta, chili and more. Not only do they mimic the texture of ground meat they are a valuable source of protein, low in saturated fat, nutrient-rich, gluten-free, and are great for vegan, vegetarians, or anyone who’s looking to reduce their meat consumption.
Savory Ground Tofu Meat Crumbles Recipe
View recipe video here!
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes
- (2) 14 oz blocks of extra firm tofu
- 100g tomato paste
- 4 tbsp San-J Tamari Low Sodium Soy Sauce (or vegetable broth)
- 2 tbsp Bragg Nutritional Yeast
- 2 tbsp McCormick Garlic Onion Black Pepper & Sea Salt All Purpose Seasoning (or 1 tbsp garlic powder and 1 tbsp onion powder)
- 1/2 tbsp roasted ground cumin
- 1 tbsp Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt *optional*
Note: I receive a small commission if you decide to purchase any of the items directly through my affiliate links.
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees
- Unpack tofu blocks, but DO NOT press them. You can squeeze some of the water out of the tofu blocks using a towel, but I wouldn’t overdue it as this may cause the tofu to be too dry after baking it.
- Place the tofu blocks in a large bowl.
- Break apart the tofu blocks with your hands into big pieces.
- Add the wet ingredients into the large bowl first then add the dry ingredients.
- Mash tofu up with a potato masher until well mixed. After mashing the ingredients together, you may also use a large spoon to make sure the ingredients are well mixed together.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a 16X10 baking sheet.
- Pour ground tofu meat mixture on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and mix the ground tofu meat with a spatula
- Place back in the oven for 10-15 minutes more.
- Take out of the oven and let it cool for about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve these tofu meat crumbles with your favorite sides, salads, or in other dishes.
Servings: 4 | Serving size: 250g | Calories: 255 kcal
Protein: 25g | Carbs: 14g | Fat: 11g